Wednesday 28 July 2010

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

...but what on earth possessed me to do it?

I am living in a country where the bakers are great, the bread is great, there are great kebab places, you can get yummy fish sandwiches from the fishmongers, freshly grilled sausage sandwiches from the bakers and yet, and yet - I still decided to go to SUBWAY for lunch? And not only did I buy a sandwich from there but I ATE IN too!!

Surely I should have been put off from the very outset by all the daft questions they wanted to ask me about my sandwich - so, I want Teriyaki chicken on what sort of bread with what sort of (tasteless) cheese and do I want it toasted or not and what bits of (production line) salad and what sort of (gloopy MSG) sauce (to go with your chicken marinaded in gloopy MSG sauce). I chose the most German bread they had with seeds and rye (so why didn't I go the bakers?) and just kind of said yes to everything and picked out the first in the list of all the other options. It was cheaper to get a 'meal' apparently. So I got a 'meal'. That's 30cm of bread and gunk, a huge paper cup of coke and a packet of crisps. Sitting down to eat at the smeary formica tables scented with eau de dirty dishcloth accompanied by piped supermarket music and surrounded by lovely close-up pictures of tomatoes didn't cost me a cent extra! Wow! Glad I stayed!

The problem with Subway (for me) is that it's neither junk food nor is it healthy so basically it presses no buttons whatsoever and as I was slurping my way through the wet, tasteless sandwich filling I occupied myself by mentally writing this blog of regret. I knew it would come the moment I spilled the first drop of sweet onion gloop onto my trousers. Please, please remind me that I don't like Subway and although I am full, I would really like a proper lunch now please.

1 comment:

  1. If it's any consolation, I've done exactly the same thing:

    I go to the canteen, see something on the menu and based on my mental picture of some lovely dish I've had in the past decide on a particular option. Then I see the real thing which is nothing like I imagined, and instead of going for something I know I will like, still pick my original choice. And of course, it invariably turns out somewhere between disappointing and vile. Which means I am 'forced' to buy some ice cream or chocolate afterwards, just to get rid of the taste.

    I feel with you :-)

    ReplyDelete